Qvault’s Introduction to Functional Programming Online Course
Learn Functional Programming
Learn by doing — Writing real code in the browser means learning faster than you would with videos.
Free tier — Free basic access to all lessons forever. We’ll even hook you up with Pro features on a 7-day free trial.
Why should you learn Functional Programming?
1. Functional programming will improve all of your coding skills. Concepts of FP apply within procedural code as well.
2. Functional programming is growing. React Hooks are a great example of this trend.
3. Functional code has fewer side effects and is easier to debug. Because pure functions are completely deterministic and don’t rely on program state, they are easier to test.
4. Concurrency gets simpler. Without shared state, concurrent programs become much easier to work with.
$112,000 average salary
World’s most popular programming language
Top 10 most loved language by coders
Still not sold Check out all 8 benefits of functional programming.
Learn Functional Programming with Qvault
Over 50 lessons covering everything from
And once you’ve completed it, you earn a free certificate proving your skills.
Learn Functional Programming by coding
Lectures are comfortable but don’t get you the interactive coding skills you need.
Each of our lessons features interactive coding challenges or multiple-choice questions.
Fun, gamified learning at your pace
Complete coding challenges as you learn functional programming.
Browser-based. No downloads. No deadlines. Become a functional programmer, at your own pace.
A Functional Programming Course with Certificates
Every course you complete in the Qvault app comes with a downloadable certificate you can share online or attach to a CV. You can even link to your portfolio page so any recruiters can see every course you complete all in one place, like a computer science trophy cabinet.
Why our students think we’ve got the best Functional Programming course
CTO at Nuvi – Utah, USA
As an employer, it’s important for me to find engineers who understand the core principles of computer science. I need employees who have been exposed to all kinds of ideas like functional styles.
What you’ll learn in our Functional Programming online course
- Learn why popular frameworks like React are supporting functional styles
- When to use and not use functional programming
- How to implement common data structures in a functional manner
- Reducing bugs through pure functions
- PureScript as a purely functional language option
- Advanced recursion
Introduction to Functional Programming – Course Contents
Chapter 1: Recursion
- What is functional programming, and what is recursion
- Pros and cons of FP
- The base case
- The redaction step
- Call stack
Chapter 2: Pure Functions
- Mutating state
- Challenge: you create a shopping cart program using the
- Benefits of pure functions
Chapter 3: Data Structures
- Functional data structures
- Purely functional stack
- Purely functional queues
- Singly linked lists
Chapter 4: PureScript
- What is PureScript
- Challenge: PureScript practice with creating basic functions to compute the diagonal length of a triangle
- PureScript arrays
- Infix, Postfix & Prefix
Chapter 5: First Class & Higher Order Functions
- What is a first-class / higher order function
- Using intersect functions
- Function currying
- Explicit and implicit currying
Frequently Asked Questions
Interested in upgrading to get full access to our Functional Programming course, but unsure what that entails?
What’s the difference between Basic and Pro?
A Basic account is, well, basic. You can demo Pro features on the first 6 exercises of each course (such as our Functional Programming course). But after that, if you’re on a Basic plan, you’ll only be able to read the course material and play in the code sandbox. You won’t get access to feedback on your code know if you got the right answers.
Qvault Pro has everything in Basic, plus all the advanced tools, content, solutions, and certifications that you need to make your learning faster.
A Pro account lets you practice much more efficiently by getting instant verification of all your code solutions. If you get stuck, you can use the “cheat” feature to take a look at the solution and quickly see what’s holding you up.
Additionally, one of the biggest benefits our Pro subscribers get is access to free certificates of completion when they finish a course. Showing off your work to employers is a quick way to get that high-paying tech job
For a full list of the differences between Pro and Basic, view our Pricing page.
Do you offer any discounts?
Our top priority is improving the courses, the app, and your experience — so your feedback is super valuable to us.
If you’re happy to help us keep improving our courses to be the best they can be, we’re currently offering a 25% discount to anyone who completes this feedback form. When you’re finished with the survey you’ll be given a coupon code!
Why should I upgrade to Qvault Pro?
Aside from the direct benefits, if you like what we’re building here at Qvault, your support helps us improve the platform.
How easy is it to cancel my subscription if I don’t like it?
We do our best to be transparent about pricing, and never want anyone keeping a subscription they don’t use. You can cancel your subscription any time from your settings page and you won’t be billed again.
Ready to start your journey and learn Functional Programming?
Try the first six lessons of our Functional Programming online course completely free, and if you’re enjoying it, get full access to all of our courses with a 7-day free trial. Cancel at any time.